I started keeping short notes about my battles because I kept forgetting which formations worked well against certain opponents. At first it was just a few lines after each fight, but after a while I had quite a lot of notes about commanders, troops, equipment and different setups.
The problem is that my notes are not exactly organized. Sometimes I write down a useful combination without explaining why it worked, and a few weeks later I have no idea what I meant. I have been trying to turn some of these notes into short guides for myself so that I can find the information more easily.
I recently experimented with online writing assistance just to organize some of the notes. I was not asking it to come up with strategies, since I think that part should come from actual gameplay. I mainly used it to make a messy list easier to read and separate different topics.
It actually made me notice something about my own notes. I was recording the result of a battle but not always recording the conditions. Things like troop composition, commander level and the opponent's setup can make a big difference, so simply writing "this formation worked" is not particularly useful later.
Now I try to record a little more after an important battle. Nothing complicated, just what I used, what the opponent used, what happened and whether I would use the same setup again.
I think this could also be useful when comparing strategies with other players. A simple battle report with some context is much easier to discuss than just saying that one formation is better than another.
How do you guys keep track of your own strategies? Do you write down successful formations somewhere, or do you mostly remember them from experience? I am curious whether other players have a simple system for keeping their battle notes organized.

